Thursday, October 12, 2006

THE FORUM: Amanda Sauer





















This week we are featuring the works of some of Virginia's finest visual arts graduate students. who participated in 1708 Gallery's Forum on October 14th. Professor Carole Garmon, from the University of Mary Washington, and N. Elizabeth Schlatter, Deputy Director and Curator of Exhibitions at University of Richmond Museums were our guest critics and moderators for the event.
Amanda Sauer, a VCU Photo MFA candidate, was nominated by her department chair to this year's Forum. Along with 7 other graduate visual artists, she presented her work at 1708 and will participate in a group show at Capital One.
We hope that our blog visitors will continue the discourse started at the Forum and will give the artists feedback on their work in the comments.

Amanda Sauer's artist statement: I explore areas around my home in Richmond to discover places where something a little magical might occur, even if only in the reaction of light and film inside the camera. In many of my photographs, I set up the camera in an interesting location and simply wait for something to happen. I collect and use my images to construct a series where, both individually and together, the photographs begin to suggest a narrative. My stories are always deeply rooted in the relationship between humans and the natural world. Nature plays many roles in my work; she is a stage for people’s dramas, an imagined realm, a source of wonder, a cage, a controlled and artificial environment, or even a myth. Together my photographs tell of a journey in search of a perfect place that, of course, can never be reached.

No comments: